NOTE: This article has been updated for the winter season. See “What to Wear to a Great Gatsby Party or Wedding: The Winter Edition”
Wish you could’ve been there for one of Gatsby’s over-the-top Long Island soirees? Well, fortunately for you, everyone seems to be throwing a lavish Gatsby themed party or wedding this season in honor of the new film. But what should one wear to a roaring 20s themed event? Here I’ve put together two high-fashion looks inspired by Daisy and Jordan Baker’s style. Of course, all items can be found in Chicago at our amazing local indie boutiques!
What to Wear to a Great Gatsby Party
- Gold Plated Chandelier Earrings (less than $40), K. Amato: Chicago native Kristen Amato has created a global brand with her unique line of affordable high quality jewelry. These beautiful chandelier earrings from her New Arrivals collection are made to stand out without breaking the bank!
- Jimmy Choo Grey Satin Slingbacks (now on auction at EBay), Luxury Garage Sale: A mecca for the glamorously frugal and all consignment enthusiasts of Chicago (like me!), Luxury Garage Sale is known for couture at unbelievable prices. With less than 8 hours remaining, the current bid on these Jimmy Choos still hasn’t crossed the $35 mark!
- Embellished Tie-Waist Dress (visit store for pricing info), Muse.: One of my favorites, Muse offers and array of beautiful, less common, dresses. This item is definitely one you’d find in Daisy’s closet!
- Tangerine Spring Cocktail Hat (contact for pricing), Formé Millinery: The Derby may be over but big hats are making a comeback. Reminiscent of southern femininity, a perfect hat completes the perfect 20s ensemble. Check out Formé for handmade works of art sold throughout the country!
- Zac Posen Dark Grey Silk Dress (now on auction at EBay), Luxury Garage Sale: Okay, so this item isn’t as ‘budget-friendly’ as one may hope. Still, the current bid on EBay is drastically less than the original cost and you can trust this Zac Posen number will be in pristine condition upon its arrival. However, if you’re still not willing to cough up the cash, I’ve got another suggestion for achieving the Jordan Baker look…
- Tapered Multi-Function Dress (less than $50), Akira: It’s no secret that I’m a huge fan of the Chicago based mega boutique Akira. This dress costs less than a spa pedicure but, with the right accessories, can look like a million bucks. When the party’s over, turn this convertible frock into a one shouldered contemporary maxi. Bonus!
- Feather March Cocktail Hat (contact for pricing), Formé Millinery: There ARE other hat makers in Chicago, but Formé is one of the best and you can trust their quality. This beautiful feather and beading detailed topper brings your entire look right back to the glamorous 20s.
- E. Live Embellished Heel (less than $100), Lori’s Shoes: Rhinestone embellishments and a lower 4.5” heel make these stems Gatsby approved but still appropriate for any cocktail party or wedding reception.
- Le Petite Drops (less than $20), House of Gemmes: Teal and silver show stoppers, these earrings provide the perfect color compliment to a black or champagne gown. Visit this Chicagoland based E-boutique for more precious accents!
- Triple Strand Freshwater Pearl Necklace (less than $70), K. Amato: Pearls are big now but they were even bigger in the 20s. These ivory freshwater strands bring the dress some sexy, old money, sophistication.