What to Wear to Afternoon Tea: The Winter Edition
Last week, we updated our most popular post, “What to Wear to a Great Gatsby Party or Wedding: 10 Gorgeous Budget-Friendly Essentials” for the winter season. I thought it was important to do the same for our afternoon tea outfit guide since few things are suppose to be as pretty as tea in the afternoon – even in winter.
Why are winter clothes so ugly? … Don’t agree? Okay. Picture in your mind a girl living in California. Now, picture some woman living in Barrow, Alaska. Ask yourself which one’s prettier? Mmmhm. Do you even know anyone that lives in Barrow, Alaska? Still, your imaginary Alaskan is less attractive than anyone living anywhere in California, right? I know. That’s because Alaska McGee is wearing long-johns, Uggs, and enough insulation to fill a king size comforter while Ms. California, well, isn’t. Winter clothes are ugly.
The clothes below, while winter appropriate when layered, may mean your death if worn without proper Polar Vortex protection. You’ve been warned.
- Crest Necklace from House of Gemmes: This gorgeous necklace looks great even paired down with jeans. For under $30, the price is unbeatable!
Leather Gimme Bracelet by House of Gemmes: Also under $30. A steal!
The Kristina Dress by Shalini: A faux leather band toughens the dress up, but the circle skirt keeps everything femme and perfect for afternoon tea in colder months.
Cassandre Shopping Bag by YSL: Classic shape in an investment piece.
5. Eyelet Suede Lace Up Bootie by Prada: It can be difficult to find a happy compromise between cute and cozy. These little lace booties with grommet detailing provide a great in between.
- Cold as Iceland by LoveBomb Lacquer: If you’ve never heard of Lovebomb, the Chicago nail polish brand is worth checking out. All products are vegan friendly and locally manufactured.
- Handbag by Carlos Falchi currently found at Luxury Garage Sale: Nothing lasts long as Luxury Garage Sale, the online and in-store luxury consignment shop. This bag is a great find for its quality, affordable price, and versatility.
Braided Metal Bangle by House of Gemmes: House of Gemmes is featured a lot in this post because of their affordable statement pieces. Each item, including this bracelet, is great for formal occasions and events where the atmosphere isn’t so stiff.
Vintage Gold Metallic Print Dress from Dollparts (SOLD OUT): This dress is no longer available from the vintage retailer and it’s easy to see why. I’m in love with the fitted waist, Dolman sleeves, and metallic print. Find similar frocks from Dollparts.
10. Viv and Ingrid Large 14K Hoops from The Green Goddess: Perfect detailing on the classic gold hoop.
- Calfskin Point Toe Slingback by Prada: Honestly, I’d probably save these cute slingbacks for when the snow melts and the temperature rises a bit more. Still, they’re perfect for colder weather months.
12. Rhinestone Clutch by Kathrine Baumann found at Luxury Garage Sale: Another great piece found at Luxury Garage Sale. The kitty face keeps the clutch fun and not overly formal.
13. Floral Pump from Prada: The neutral colors in this fun shoe makes it more versatile then one may expect from a printed pump.
14. Maggie Dress by Nora Del Busto: Cute fitted dress, also available in grey.
15. Rectangle Bronze Necklace by Juliet Jewelry: Geometrical jewelry has a great way of grounding a look. This necklace pulls this entire colorful look together.
16. Brown Hooded Wrap Coat from Venus.com: Few hooded wrap coats look this chic!
Find the Chicago Indie Shops at the following locations and online: House of Gemmes www.houseofgemmes.com/ Shalini www.insideoutstyles.com and at Cerato Boutique 3451 N Southport Ave, Chicago IL / LoveBomb Lacquer www.lovebomblacquer.com/ Luxury Garage Sale 1658 N Wells St, Chicago, IL 60614 / Dollparts www.dollpartsdesign.com/ The Green Goddess 1009 W Armitage Ave, Chicago, IL 60614 /Nora del Busto www.NoraDelBusto.com/ Juliet Jewelry www.julietjewelry.com/
Featured Images: Images found on respective retailer’s website