“Why are winter clothes so ugly? … Don’t agree? Okay. Picture in your mind a girl living in California. Now, picture some woman living in Barrow, Alaska. Ask yourself which one’s prettier? Mmmhm. Do you even know anyone that lives in Barrow, Alaska? Still, your imaginary Alaskan is less attractive than anyone living anywhere in California, right? I know. That’s because Alaska McGee is wearing long-johns, Uggs, and enough insulation to fill a king size comforter while Ms. California, well, isn’t. Winter clothes are ugly.” – from What to Wear to Afternoon Tea: The Winter Edition
Truth is, winter clothing isn’t all bad but it is more difficult to style than summer’s easy breezy staples. We’re trading in our sandals for snow boots, cotton dresses for heavy corduroys, and airy cardigans for suffocating puffers. Wrapping up human burrito style is a process. It takes longer to get dressed in the cold and we’re more likely to choose function over fashion for the commute.
Consider, too, the cost. Furs, wool, and high-quality fabrics require mo’ dough than your average cotton, frilly, spring thingy. Perhaps your money stretches farther than Armstrong and if that’s the case, write to me. We should totally be best friends. If, on the other hand, your budget is more restricted than an asthmatic runner’s lung capacity I feel your pain. Help is here. Enter Erika.
“Link to Vimeo version: http://vimeo.com/chicagoingstv/thedressingroom-s1e1“
Erika is the brains and beauty behind local styling firm French Vendette. Her work has received international acclaim and publication. For our first episode of The Dressing Room, Erika kindly directs us toward the only 5 pieces essential to our winter wardrobe. No, socks and undies aren’t on her list. You’re being too literal.
Wait, what’s “The Dressing Room”?!
The Dressing Room
Glad you asked! The Dressing Room is Chicagoings’ new web series featuring our city’s top stylists and easy to apply fashion tips. Yes, it’s new. So, you know. Get excited and stuff.
Each episode will delve deeply into the complex psyche of a personal stylist. In less than 5 minutes, we’ll be learning how to wear what we already own and which items are worth snatching off the racks.
Let us know what you think of the new show with a comment below or by shooting an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Link to Vimeo version: http://vimeo.com/chicagoingstv/thedressingroom-s1e1
Source for images: Pinterest
By the way, this article made it onIndependent Fashion Blogger‘s weekly roundup. YAY! Check out the other amazing articles that also made the list:
- Adorned in Armor: Dear Black People, You Are Your Hair. Love, America
- A Glamourous Revelation: I Was *That* Annoying Fashion Blogger
- Art Becomes You: 7 Pairs of Zara Shoes or 1 Pair of Jimmy Choo?
- Chicagoings: The 5 Items You Need for Winter
- Christine Violet: Nature Inspired Fashion
- Chromo Beauty: A Chat With Allison Raskin
- DressCode:HighFashion: Top 10 Oscar’s Looks
- Fashion Culturalist: 7 Lessons in Fashion from NYFW
- Fashion Trends and More: Philadelphia Fashion Week
- Ginger Side of Life: How to Get the Perfect Bun
- Hello Handbag: Drool worthy Bags With a Compassionate Twist
- I Can Style U: Dude Create a Fury for Spring 2015
- Inexpensive Chic: How to Dress Stylishly in The Extreme Cold
- Les Assorties: OWAIS HAJI X MAHEEN KHAN
- Life in the Fash Lane: 7 Things I Learned About Fashion Blogging
- Riva la Diva: DIY Burberry Prorsum’s Scarf Look
- See Lark: How to Wear Color
- Storybook Apothecary: That Time My Boyfriend And I Joined OK Cupid
- TLV Birdie: Scandinavian Minimalist Makeup
- Wishing for Chanel: Going Cruelty Free