Gatsby fever has arrived just in time for wedding season. If your budget is more Nick Carraway then Jay Gatsby you can still let the pre-prohibition drinks flow and celebrate in glamorous style – with a little creativity. Here are 9 ideas for the perfect Gatsby budget wedding! Of course, all items are brought to you by Chicago’s fabulous indie boutiques.
- Elliat Queen Athena Maxi Dress (less than $200), Akira: Don’t sacrifice quality for affordability. This high-low hem maxi is made of 100% silk, complete with a chiffon skirt, and slip. Perfect for a garden Gatsby vow ceremony.
- Love Sam Tube Top Dress (less than $300), Sofia: Natural fabrics feel feminine and romantic. This 100% cotton tube dress steps it up a notch with metallic embellishments and a side slit making it the perfect frock for a beach Gatsby wedding.
- Comet Vintage Chicago (less than $50), Comet Vintage Chicago: Drop waist reminiscent of the glamorous 20s, this dress is truly one of a kind. Perfect for the indie wedding and the bold fashion forward bride.
- Wedding Invitation by Spilled Ink Press (contact for pricing): I’m partial to indie paper boutiques but real life couple Tony and Amanda knows their stuff when it comes to invitation designs. Allow them to create a one-of-a-kind package perfect for your budget.
- Just Jules 14k Rose Cut Engagement Ring, Gem: Every bride wants a ring made just for her – unique and brilliant. Gem specializes in unusual and beautiful engagement rings. Perfect for the girl who refuses to be a clone.
- E. Live (less than $100), Lori’s Shoes: Leather sole. Rhinestone details. Flattering design. The right amount of 20s shine without the gaudy kitsch.
- Egypt Deco Earring in Silver (less than $15), Akira: For this price don’t expect these babies to last you longer than one night – but then again one night is all you need. Get em!
- Multi-Function Necklace, Akira: This piece is so cool! Wrap it around your body for a partial chainmail look. Add a little edge to the ultra femme Gatsby style.
- Feather Headpiece: Make a feather headpiece just as striking as the model’s with a simple trip to Michael’s. Feathers are sold in bulk and a glue gun is definitely budget friendly. Spring for the slightly more pricey ostrich plumes. I made something similar for my engagement shoot last year. After the hoopla is over these make for perfect keepsakes.
Find these Chicago Indie Shops at the following locations: AKIRA Multiple locations throughout Chicago/ Sofia Live Lovely 100 E Walton St, Chicago IL 60611/ Comet Vintage 1320 W 18th St, Chicago IL 60608/ Spilled Ink Press 2650 N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago IL/ Gem 108 N Marion St, Oak Park IL 60301/ Lori’s Shoes 824 W Armitage Ave, Chicago IL 60614/