Ready for Labor Day weekend? I know I am! It’s amazing what you can do with just one additional day off of work. Play tourist in your own city or hit the road for a mini getaway. Wherever you’re headed, here are 14 items that will take you from the car, to the beach, to the bar.
Hint: Stash this list away for Thanksgiving too!
Left to Right (more or less -__-)…
- An item that can be rocked effortlessly both during the day and at night. This black romper from Edith Hart definitely fits the bill. Plus, the long sleeves play well with cooler nights.
- A tank/t-shirt dress. Top/right you’ll find the Stussy midi dress from ASOS. The frock’s cotton blend makes it comfy for long hours behind the dash.
- A runway worthy swimsuit. This crazy cute two-piece (top/center) is created by indie designer Tennille McMillan for her line Nakimuli (Brooklyn, NY).
- Oversized sunnies. Jackie O’ never hit the road in petite frames. Neither should you! Avoid crow’s feet in your 40s by wearing bigger-than-life shades now like these A.J. Morgan Enamel Trim Aviators from Lori’s Shoes or Le Specs Ravvit Hole Sunglasses from Akira.
- A ginormous handbag. If packed properly this may be the only bag you need! Large suede tote by Sir & Madame.
- Sexy flats. For happy feet keep a pair of flats like these black sandals by Obsession Rules found at City Soles.
- Easy heels. You’ll need something for those adventurous nights. I love these simple grey heels by Jeffrey Campbell, found at Lori’s Shoes.
- A go-with-everything scarf. For taming your hair and upgrading your wardrobe. The scarf above can be found here at Anthropologie.
- Plenty of cotton undies. ‘Cause it’s better to have too many than too few. Simple, clean, and comfy like this lace-waist cheeky found at Victoria’s Secret.
- A cell phone, of course. The picture quality of most cell phones is just as good as a point and shoot camera. Pack one or the other! Like this Chanel perfume bottle inspired phone case? I scored mine from ShopJeen.com but a quick google search finds them at multiple vendors.
- A great smelling toothpaste. …because ‘boo-boo breath’ isn’t polite. No ma’am! Compact in size, Marvis’ toothpaste will have your mouth smelling like a floral bouquet in no time! Look for more at Merz Apothecary if you’re in Chicago.
- A soft smelling hand crème. ….because no one else loves VS’ Angels perfumed lotion as much as you do! Intense smells can make other passengers nauseous. I got hooked on Nivea in Europe and they’re still my go-to brand!
- Hand sanitizer that doesn’t smell like hand sanitizer. My favorite are from Bath and Body Works. They’re so tiny and easy to pack.
- A great book … or two! There are tons of great indie book stores in Chicago, but to save space take your entire library with you on your tablet.
5 Quick Destinations
Be at one with nature. Hike, bike, or picnic the day away.
An in-the-know Chicagoan’s best kept secret. 3 hours outside of Chicago, visit Door County for wine vineyards, canoeing under the stars, and ultimate relaxation.
Beer and brats are synonymous with Milwaukee. Watch the Brewers battle in the city’s world famous, retractable roof equipped baseball park, Miller Park.
Not exactly a road trip, the Chicago Botanic Garden is only 30 minutes from the loop. Still, you’ll feel like you’re oceans away in the Malott Japanese Garden.
A quaint little town with a unique boutique shopping experience. It’s well worth the hour long drive!
Just for fun…
Links á la Mode
Chosen by the Independent Fashion Bloggers group this week, we have the privilege and duty of sharing with you other great publishers focused on the extended weekend ahead. You may find a new favorite blog below!
Links à la Mode: August 28th
- Adorned in Armor: Donate Clothes or Sell Them?
- Al Balsam Life: 4 Back To School Fashion Mistakes
- Buy Any Means Necessary: The Best & Worst Dressed at the Emmys
- Cat Eyes & Skinny Jeans: The Ear Cuff
- Charlotte Lucy: Charley May AW14 Campaign
- Chicagoings: 14 Essentials for a Road Trip Weekend
- Couture Crush: Benefit’s They’re Real! Push-Up Liner Review
- Curvy CEO: Garner Style is #BoycottingTarget. Will you?
- Elisfa: The Denim Issue
- Everyday Starlet: How To: 1940s Inspired Updo
- Fashiony Fab: How to Make Your Nail Polish Last Longer
- My Fashion S/ash Life: African Fashion Connoisseur, Diana Opoti Shows Us How To ‘Buy African’
- Rose and Pine:
- Style Bizarre: Gall Clothing: Strength, Courage and Modernism
- Style Generis: How to Recreate All 10 of Taylor Swift’s Outfits in Shake It Off
- The Daily Luxe: Where does Australian Fashion fit in the Global picture?
- Versatile Journal: DIY Pseudo Pearl Rings
- We Are Ready Made: Love On Top
- Wheeling Along 24: How to Make Mobile Phone Pics Look Like DSLR Photos
- Yours Truly, NY: A Basic Beanie, Four Ways